Location - Umbria, “Green Heart of Italy”
Some of the Wines Produced:
Vigneto Torricella - Orvieto Classico Secco DOC
Sartiano - Rosso dell'Umbria IGT
Strozzavolpe - Grechetto dell'Umbria IGT
The first headquarters of the Wine House Bigi was the former monastery of “La Trinità” in Orvieto, an ancient Franciscan monastery confiscated by the Italian State in 1870. In order to provide the best possible production facilities, in 1972 Bigi moved to the modern cellar in the locality of Ponte Giulio, not far from the ancient town of Orvieto. The present headquarters at Ponte Giulio with its capacity of 30.000 hl, with its avant-garde vinification equipment and its great park of casks and barriques for ageing marries perfectly the modern technical production requirements with age-old tradition.
The property’s vineyards (136 ha) are located in the “classico” zone, the oldest, of the Orvieto DOC, 70% under white grape vines, and are situated on hilly, mainly clay ground at 150-450 metres altitude.
Inspired by the potential of its region, over the years Bigi has obtained truly enviable results, and not only with Orvieto Classico. Thanks to the able work of its oenologists and to the ample availability of vineyards, it has broadened its range beyond the classic white wines such as Orvieto Classico, Grechetto and Est! Est!! Est!!! with red wines of considerable interest, products based on the Sangiovese grapes of Umbria, in a pure form or together with other grape varieties.